Breskvice desserts are often found at family functions such as weddings, family parties, Christmas, Easter, etc. These are one of the top Croatian foods to try. They are a special party cookie that everyone looks forward to eating. Breskvice means peach. These cookies are shaped and colored like a peach with a jam and nut filling. These Croatian desserts are so delicious.
Croatian Breskvice Cookies
I always looked forward to Croatian functions just for the Croatian desserts. It was always a guarantee that the Croatian Breskvice cookies would be on the sweet table.
It is very traditional for people to bring desserts to parties and family functions and these cookies are always a hit and almost expected. Although they are time-consuming to make, they are well worth it.
They disappear quicker than you can make them.
Breskvice Ingredients for Cookies
- 2 medium eggs
- 60 g butter, room temperature (3 tablespoons)
- 90 g powdered sugar (2/3 cup)
- 125 g all-purpose flour (1 cup)
- 125 g fine/pastry flour (1 cup)
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Breskvice Ingredients For The Filling
- 70 g walnuts, ground (approx 1/2 cup)
- 1 vanilla sugar pkt (or 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract)
- 10-15 g powdered sugar (2 tablespoons)
- 150 g jam, apricot or rosehip (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons rum, dark
- 70 g cookies crumbs (approx 1/2 cup)
- 200-500 mls milk, hot (1-2 1/4 cups)
Extra Breskvice Ingredients
- Raspberry extract
- Pear extract
- 1-liter water (4.2 cups)
- White sugar
Breskvice Cookie Instructions
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and butter with a mixer, and add in the other ingredients, and knead until the dough is smooth.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for about 30 minutes
- From the dough, we will make small balls. I have used a kitchen scale at the start to make the balls around 10g in weight. When I made a few of them I stopped using the scale and they all turned out pretty much the same size.
- Place the balls in a baking tin lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the balls in an oven preheated – 160°0C (320°F) for 15 – 20 minutes. Be sure not to overbake them as they should stay bright and firm on top and only the bottom should get a color.
- Leave them to cool, for around 30 minutes, and then using a sharp knife pierce the cookies and make the holes from the bottom side.
- Save the crumbs as we will use them for the filling
Breskvice Filling Instructions
- Combine all the ingredients and add the milk to get a thicker cream
- The exact amount of the milk is not precise in the ingredient list as it depends on how thick your jam is. If it’s softer than you will add less milk. If it’s very thick then you will probably need milk closer to 500 mls (2 cups).
- Place the filling in a piping bag and fill each ball
- Connect two balls together and leave in the fridge for 1-2 hours (this step is not 100% necessary if you are short on time, but the filling will get thicker and stronger once cooled).
- Pour about 500 mls (2 cups) of water into two containers; add raspberry extract to one bowl and pear extract to the other. Add in as much of the coloring as you need to achieve the desired shade of your choosing
- Dip each ball sideways into one color (pear) and then dip the top and bottom side to other (raspberry). Try to do this quickly, as dipping them for too long will make the balls soggy
- Arrange the peaches on a paper towel. Once you have about 6, carefully roll them in a bowl of sugar. And repeat till you have finished
- Place the peaches on a serving platter and air dry before serving.
One of the most delicious cookies that you will look forward to on all special family occasions. Of course, you should add some Croatian Posip wine with your desserts.