Are you looking for a Knedle Croatian Plum dumplings recipe? Croatian plum dumplings (knedle sa šljivama) – are made with delicious mashed potato dough wrapped around plums. They can be sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon as a dessert or as a side dish. and can be eaten as a dessert or served as a main meal for vegetarians.
Intersstingly, I always seem to call Croatian plum dumplings as Knegle instead of Knedle.
Although Knegle plum dumplings are a popular food in Croatia and a must-try when you visit Croatia they are also found throughout other parts of Europe. The knedle would pair perfectly with a Grasevina or Posip Croatian wine.
Knedle sa šljivama – Croatian Dumplings Recipe
Knedle are basically plum dumplings that are made with mashed potatoes. The mashed potato acts like the dough in these
This plum dumpling is the perfect Croatian recipe to make as a low-fat dessert alternative.
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 – 4 tablespoons melted butter
- Pinch of salt
- About 16 pitted plums
- 3 large tablespoons bread crumbs
- Peel and steam the potatoes until tender
- Mash and salt the potatoes, and allow to cool
- Once cool, add the melted butter, eggs, and flour and knead. Add more flour if it is too wet.
- Take a portion of dough and pat it flat in your hands. (a little flour on your hands will keep it from sticking) you can also flatten the dough and cut it into squares.
- Place a plum in the center and wrap the dough around it forming a ball. Wet edges if needed to keep it together.
- Continue making the knegle until your run out of dough or plums
- Place the plum dumplings in boiling water, and cook for 20 minutes
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the knegle dumplings, and allow them to drain on a kitchen towel
- Brown the bread crumbs in a little butter and sprinkle over the knedle.
- Transfer the plum dumplings to a serving platter and layer with icing sugar