Are you planning a trip to Croatia and wondering is Croatia Safe? The safety of any destination always crosses my mind when I plan my travels.
I love visiting Croatia and is always my top destination to visit in Europe. Croatia is a beautiful country with so much history, delicious food, amazing wine (yes, Croatia has wine), and warm and friendly people.
I have traveled to Croatia several times and it is probably one of the safest countries to visit. The overall crime levels in Croatia is relatively low make it safe to travel in Croatia. When traveling in general you should always be cautious and alert of your surroundings.
There are so many wonderful places to visit in Croatia. If you are planning your trip to Croatia then you might want to check out these posts as well:
- Top Things to Do in Istria, Croatia
- Best Croatian Food You Must Try
- Top Things to Do in Rijeka, Croatia
- Discover the Best Things to Do in Hvar, Croatia
- Amazing Day Trips from Split, Croatia
- Best Day Trips from Dubrovnik, Croatia
- Game of Thrones Dubrovnik Tour
Is Croatia Safe For Tourists?
As mentioned earlier, I have visited Croatia several times and have always felt safe. I am confident that Croatia is extremely safe for tourists to visit. I traveled to Croatia several times as a teenager and often traveled on the train and bus with my younger sister and we never had any issues.
The Government of Canada’s information on travel advisories for Croatia is to be aware of petty crime such as pickpocketing and document theft occurs, especially in busy tourist areas and along the Adriatic coast.
Ensure that your personal belongings, including your passport and other travel documents, are secure at all times, particularly on public transportation and in railroad stations and airports.
Like any destination, be aware of scams of bars or “cabarets” that charge exorbitant prices. Always check prices before placing an order.
Is Croatia Safe For Female Tourists?
Although Croatia has a very low violent crime rate and is generally one of the safest countries in the world, you should still be aware of your surroundings, especially if you are a women traveling alone. I would give this advice to any woman traveling alone to any country.
You need to use some common sense practices when traveling alone anywhere, even in your own neighbourhood. If you wouldn’t walk down a dark alley at home then definately don’t do it in a foreign country.
Tips For Staying Safe in Croatia
- Always be aware of your surroundings. Map your route before you leave your accommodations to know where you are going.
- If you are traveling alone, let someone know where you are going.
- Stay away from allies, some parks, and other non-lit areas during the night.
- Don’t walk around with flashy items such as expensive jewelry, purses, etc.
- Be aware of pickpocketers. They are everywhere and you can be pickpocketed when you least expect it. Don’t keep anything in your back pocket and keep the bag in front of you.
- Driving is generally safe in Croatia but they do drive fast so be cautious when driving. There are also windy roads along the coast of Croatia that you should drive cautiously.
- Like anywhere in the world, be cautious of getting in anyone’s car. If you are using Uber make sure it is your driver and only use trustworthy cab companies.
- Never leave your food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers. Avoid accepting snacks, beverages, gum, or cigarettes from new acquaintances, as the items may contain drugs that could put you at risk of sexual assault and robbery.
- If you enjoy hiking be cautious when hiking off the beaten path. There are certain areas in Croatia that may still have unexploded landmines. Generally, there will be signs posted in these areas so keep an eye out for these.
- Avoid any protests or demonstrations.
Is Croatia Safe to Travel To Conclusion
As you can see, Croatia is an extremely safe country to travel to. As someone who has traveled there on numerous occasions and used different means of transportation from the train, bus, and car I have found Croatia to be safe. If you have never visited Croatia, feel confident in planning your trip to this beautiful safe country.