I was craving some sunshine and since we are lacking that here, I thought this Pie De Limon would bring me the sunshine I am craving. Let me tell you, it did the trick. Every bite tastes like a piece of sunshine. I have had my fair share of key lime pie and lemon meringue pie.
This was probably one of the easiest desserts I have made and is an all-time favorite. Let’s just say that it disappeared within hours of making it. If you are looking for a super easy recipe to impress your friends and family, then you will love this pie.
This Key Lime Pie is made with simple ingredients. The filling of the pie consists of limes, condensed milk, and cream cheese. The crust doesn’t get any easier than this as it is made with Maria Cookies. There are several different brands of Maria Cookies, any one of them will do. You can also use vanilla wafer cookies, graham crackers, or any plain cookie. Topped with a meringue layer.
Pie De Limon Ingredients
- 1 sleeve of Maria cookies or any type of plain sugar cookie
- 8 tablespoons of melted butter (melted)
- 1 package of cream cheese at room temp
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 5 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of lime zest (I reserve some for the topping)
- 5 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
How to Make the Cookie Crust
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the Maria cookies in a food processor or a blender and pulse until finely crumbled. (I used a blender)
- Place the crumbled cookies in a large bowl and add the melted butter. Mix thoroughly until well combined.
- Add the cookie and butter mixture to an 8inch pie pan and press against the bottom and sides of the pan. You can use a large spoon or your hands.
- Bake for cookie crust for 10 minutes.
- Let the crust cool before adding the pie filling.
How to Make the Pie Filling
- Add the cream cheese, condensed milk, lime zest, and lime juice in a bowl. You can use a stand mixer to combine the ingredients. I used a spatula as the cream cheese was soft enough to blend by hand. Once the crust has cooled, pour the pie filling over the pie crust and refrigerate for one hour.
How to Make the Meringue
- Add the egg whites and cream of tartar to a bowl.
- You can use a stand mixer or hand mixer to whisk the egg whites until they start to get foamy.
- Once peaks start to form, add the sugar and salt and continue to beat until it is super thick. It will be thick enough to be able to turn the bowl upside down and it won’t move. I used a hand mixer and it took approximately 8-10 minutes.
- With a large spoon add the meringue to the pie. Spread the meringue evenly on the pie.
- Lightly brown the meringue topping with a kitchen torch or broil the pie on the low setting but keep your eye on it so it does not burn.