If you love beets as much as I do then you are going to love the beet hummus recipe. The ingredients are pretty simple, your basic hummus recipe with the addition of beets.
Not only is this beet hummus recipe delicious but it is super pretty with its bright pink color. This pink hummus is delicious scooped on pita or dip raw veggies such as sliced cucumbers or mini cucumbers, radishes, raw cauliflower, celery and so much more.
The beet hummus recipe calls for only one beet raw or roasted. Although raw is perfectly fine, I would highly recommend taking the time to roast the beet. This will give it a sweeter flavour.
Did you know that beets are high in nutrients and have many healthy benefits? Beets are packed with essential nutrients, beetroots are a great source of fiber, folate (vitamin B9), manganese, potassium, iron, and vitamin C.
What is Hummus?
Hummus is a dip, spread, or a savory dish made from cooked, mashed chickpeas and blended with tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. It is popular in the Middle East and in Middle Eastern cuisine around the globe. It is widely available in grocery stores around the world. It is a wonderful appetizer as well as a great sandwich spread. Personally, I can have hummus with cut-up raw vegetables as an entire meal.
Beet Hummus Recipe Ingredients
1 medium beet peeled and chopped (roasted or raw)⠀
1 can drained chickpeas ⠀
2/3 cup tahini⠀
Zest from 2 lemons ⠀
1/3 cup of lemon juice⠀
2 cloves garlic chopped (I didn’t add garlic)⠀
1/3 cup olive oil (you’ll probably need more)⠀
1 teaspoon cumin or more to taste⠀
1 teaspoon kosher salt⠀
Za’atar seasoning sprinkled on top ⠀
What is Za’atar
Za’atar is a culinary herb or family of herbs. It is also the name of a spice mixture that includes the herb along with toasted sesame seeds, dried sumac, often salt, as well as other spices.
Beet Hummus Recipe Instructions
Cooking the Beets
You can use a raw beet but I find roasted beets give it a sweeter flavor. ⠀This. is a super easy recipe. Just toss all the ingredients in a food processor or a blender and that’s it.
To roast the beets, cut off the green tops (you can keep these and sautee them with some olive oil and garlic), scrub the beets clean as they can be covered in sand. Wrap the beets in tin foil and place on a baking sheet in the oven. Bake at 375°F until soft when you squeeze them.
Make sure you put on an oven mitt before checking the firmness of the beets. You can also poke them with a fork to see if they are soft. Once they are cooked, remove them from the oven and let them cool. Once cooled, you can peel them if you wish. Cut them up in small pieces so they blend easily.
Beet Hummus Recipe Process
1. Put all the ingredients in a food processor or a blender. ⠀
2. If it is too thick add more olive oil and blend until smooth. ⠀
3. Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with more olive oil and za’atar seasoning (I’m addicted to this stuff) ⠀
4. Serve with pita bread and cut up veggies- enjoy
5. Chill and store the beet hummus in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES:
- How to Make Sourdough Starter – this is the sourdough starter I used to make this bread
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free) are easy to make and are great for people with nut allergies.
- Greek Orange Pie is so refreshing and takes me back to my time in Greece.
- Easy Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free) are super easy to make and are low carb and delicious.
- Baked Gluten-Free Donuts are great when you are craving a donut without all the sugar and gluten.
- Gluten-Free Bread Recipes there are 31 gluten-free bread recipes to help you start baking
- No-Knead Sourdough Bread Recipe – the easiest bread recipe