Peperonata is a delicious, simple recipe made with peppers. It is a popular Italian dish that is made in the summer and is served as a side or over bread drizzled with olive oil.
The Peperonata recipe does vary from region to region, I like to add olives to my peperonata for some extra flavor. The traditional Emilian Peperonata recipe has the addition of balsamic vinegar but is optional.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing or booking through these links earns us a commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you.
Make sure to use a selection of different colored peppers from green, yellow, orange, and red for the best flavors. although this is an Italian dish, Croatians make a very similar dish and something I grew up with and my mother made every summer. Looking for an easy Italian dessert, try this delicious tiramisu recipe.
It is an extremely easy recipe. I usually start by trimming and slicing my peppers and onions. Be sure to discard the white rib from the pepper as this is bitter.
Peperonata Recipe Ingredients
- 6 bell peppers of different colors cut into strips
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 onions sliced into strips
- 5 basil leaves or oregano
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- olives optional
Peperonata Recipe Instructions
- Slice onions and peppers into thin strips
- In a large pot add the 1/4 olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook just until it is golden. Increase the heat and add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the sliced peppers and let cook until softened, stirring often, around 15-20 minutes.
- Add the can of diced tomato and herbs and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, approximately 45 minutes – 1 hour.
- Stir in the vinegar. Remove herb sprigs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- optional: add olives
- Serve hot as a side dish or over bread drizzled with olive oil.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES:
- How to Make Sourdough Starter – this is the sourdough starter I used to make this bread
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free) are easy to make and are great for people with nut allergies.
- Greek Orange Pie is so refreshing and takes me back to my time in Greece.
- Easy Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free) are super easy to make and are low carb and delicious.
- Baked Gluten-Free Donuts are great when you are craving a donut without all the sugar and gluten.
- Gluten-Free Bread Recipes there are 31 gluten-free bread recipes to help you start baking
- No-Knead Sourdough Bread Recipe – the easiest bread recipe