Trofie al Pesto is one of my favorite pasta. I first tried this pasta dish in Cinque Terre. It is a famous, traditional Ligurian pasta dish. Trofie al Pesto has very few ingredients that consist of pine nuts, cheese, garlic, basil, and trofie pasta. I have provided two recipes.
In my never-ending quest to travel through food, we head back to one of the most memorable places we’ve been, the Cinque Terre, Italy ….. I remember ordering this iconic dish Trofie al pesto for lunch, so delicious. We ended up buying jars of souvenir pesto to recreate this dish at home. ⠀
When made from scratch this pasta dish might seem a little intimidating but this dish is really pretty simple when all your imported authentic ingredients.⠀
Two simple ingredients but true authentic taste If you’ve never tried this pasta before ….trust me, it’s a winner !
One is the easiest recipe that requires that you open a jar. The second option provides a recipe and directions to make your own homemade pesto for the Trofie al Pesto.
Pesto Genovese is made with a marble mortar and a wooden pestle. It is an ancient method that requires some arm power, time, and patience.
Trofie al Pesto Easy Recipe
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 six-ounce jar basil pesto, such as Roi or Niasca Portofino (about 3/4 cup)
- 1 pound trofie pasta, such as Pisani or Alta Valle ScriviaB
- Burrata cheese (optional)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Bring a large pot of water to boil, then season it with salt until it is as salty as the sea. Set up a large bowl filled with ice water nearby. Drop the green beans into the boiling water until they turn bright green, about 1 to 2 minutes. Move them from the boiling water to the ice bath. Once cool, drain and dry the blanched green beans.
Place the pesto, boiled potatoes, and blanched beans in a 12- to 14-inch saute pan, and set aside.
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil, and add two tablespoons of salt. Cook the pasta in the boiling water until it is al dente, then drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta’s cooking water.
Add the pasta to the pesto in the saute pan but do not place over heat. Toss to combine, and add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. If needed, add a small amount of the pasta cooking water to thin the pesto.
When the pasta is completely combined with the pesto and vegetables, place the dish into a warmed serving dish, and serve. Top with creamy burrata cheese (optional).
Trofie al Pesto With Homemade Pesto Sauce
Trofie pesto Servings: 4
Time: 30 mins
350 g fresh trofie pasta
30 g grated grana cheese
20 g grated pecorino cheese
12 g pine nuts
20-25 basil leaves
extra-virgin olive oil
Trofie al Pesto – Trofie Pesto Instructions
Wash and dry the basil leaves. With a mortar and pestle crush some of the leaves, gradually adding more (makes it easier to crush them).
Add the pine nuts a little at a time, then slices of garlic and a pinch of cooking salt. Mash the ingredients until smooth.
Drizzle 40 g of oil into it as you crush until homogeneous and compact. Cook the pasta in plenty of salted water. Dilute the pesto with a bit of the cooking water to make it creamier, then drain
the pasta and add the sauce. Garnish with some whole basil leaves and freshly grated cheese.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES:
- Vanillekipferl cookies German Crescent cookies
- Dalmatian Fig Tart
- Beet Hummus
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken – pairs perfectly with this dessert
- Italian Tiramisu Recipe – this dessert will transport you to Italy
- How to Make Sourdough Starter – this is the sourdough starter I used to make this bread
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free) are easy to make and are great for people with nut allergies.
- Greek Orange Pie is so refreshing and takes me back to my time in Greece.
- Easy Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free) are super easy to make and are low carb and delicious.
- Baked Gluten-Free Donuts are great when you are craving a donut without all the sugar and gluten.
- Gluten-Free Bread Recipes there are 31 gluten-free bread recipes to help you start baking
- No-Knead Sourdough Bread Recipe – the easiest bread recipe