When traveling to the Caribbean I got to indulge in so many great desserts. This Jamaican Toto recipe has one of my favorite ingredients, coconut. A lot of the Jamaican desserts either include coconut, rum, or both. It is very hard for me to pass up on a coconut dessert, my favorite! I love this Jamaican recipe and it pairs perfectly with the Jamaican Jerk Chicken.
Toto is a coconut spice cake that is popular throughout the Caribbean. This cake is basically a coconut cake. It is a very easy and plain cake but don’t let that fool you. The combination of spices and coconut makes this cake so delicious. To kick it a notch you can even add dark rum for some extra flavor and make it a coconut rum cake.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through these links earns us a commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you.
This Jamaican Toto recipe is usually served as a snack or a dessert and is typically served at family gatherings. It is prepared with shredded coconut, flour, brown sugar baking powder, baking soda, and coconut milk. A very easy Jamaican dessert recipe.
I altered a few ingredients in this Jamaican Toto recipe and made it gluten-free and low in sugar. This is my version of a Jamaican Toto gluten free coconut cake. I also replaced the milk with coconut cream so this cake is a gluten free dairy free cake.
Jamaican Toto Recipe Ingredients -Gluten Free and Dairy Free Cake
- 4 oz butter softened cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup golden Monk Fruit sugar or brown sugar (find it on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca)
- 1/2 cup white monk fruit sugar or white sugar (find it on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 3/4 cups oat flour (find it on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca or grind up oatmeal to make flour)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1 1/3 cup coconut cream (Amazon.ca or Amazon.com)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or rum for extra flavor
Optional Coconut Topping
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp white Monk Fruit Sugar
Jamaican Toto Recipe Instructions
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Grease an 8 “x 12” baking pan or line it with parchment paper.
- Using a stand-up mixer (or you can mix by hand), cream the butter and sugar, then add the vanilla and the eggs and beat until well combined.
- In a separate bowl sift the oat flour and baking powder. Mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Start to add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Add the coconut cream 1/2 cup at a time. Add the coconut milk or rum.
- Mix in the shredded coconut 1/2 cup at a time.
- Pour into the baking pan, and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack, and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Cut into square portions and serve with either sifted confectioner’s sugar on top of coconut topping.
Coconut Topping Instructions
- Combined canned coconut, vanilla, and monk sugar to a blender.
- Blend until completely combined.
- Transfer mixture to a clean jar (mason jar) and leave in the fridge to harden.
- Take out of the fridge when you are ready to serve the cake.
- Place a dollop of coconut cream topping on each slice of Jamaican Toto cake.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES:
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken – pairs perfectly with this dessert
- Italian Tiramisu Recipe – this dessert will transport you to Italy
- How to Make Sourdough Starter – this is the sourdough starter I used to make this bread
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free) are easy to make and are great for people with nut allergies.
- Greek Orange Pie is so refreshing and takes me back to my time in Greece.
- Easy Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten Free) are super easy to make and are low carb and delicious.
- Baked Gluten Free Donuts are great when you are craving a donut without all the sugar and gluten.
- Gluten Free Bread Recipes there are 31 gluten-free bread recipes to help you start baking
- No Knead Sourdough Bread Recipe – the easiest bread recipe