These Rhubarb Strawberry Almond Bars will have you dreaming of summer. The bars have a crisp almond flour crust topped with sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb. The perfect combination. This recipe is also gluten-free, Paleo, low-carb, and refined sugar-free.
These rhubarb strawberry almond bars are light and so full of flavor. If you are watching your carb intake then these are a great treat. These low carb rhubarb-strawberry bars won’t leave you feeling guilty. Your family won’t even know that they are low carb and gluten-free.
If you have a nut allergy but want to keep these gluten-free then replace the almond flour with Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free flour and the nut topping with a seed mixture.
This post may contain affiliate links. Purchasing through these links earns us a commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you.
Rhubarb Strawberry Almond Bars (Gluten Free + Paleo) Recipe (With a Vegan Option)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 60 minutes
- Servings: 16 bars
Rhubarb Strawberry Almond Bars Ingredients
Rhubarb Strawberry Almond Bars Crust
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons monk fruit sugar (find it on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca) or coconut sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
Rhubarb Strawberry Almond Bar Topping
- ¾ cup (110g) unsalted almonds
- 1 tablespoon tapioca flour
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅓ cup monk sugar (find it on Amazon.com or Amazon.ca) or coconut sugar
- 5 tablespoons (70g) coconut oil, solid or butter
- 1 large egg or a Flax Egg (replace the egg with 1 tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 Tablespoons of water. Let sit until it thickens.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb cut into 1″ thick slices
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Rhubarb Strawberry Almond Bar Baking Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line an 8×8” square pan with parchment paper. Grease with a nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix the almond flour, tapioca flour, sugar, salt, and melted coconut oil or butter until fully combined. Make sure all the flour is combined. Press the crust evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- To make the topping, in a food processor or blender, (I used my blender) grind the almonds, tapioca flour, salt, and monk sugar until it is fine. Add the coconut oil or butter and process until completely combined. Add the egg and vanilla, blending until a smooth paste is formed. Spread the filling evenly over the almond crust.
- Toss the rhubarb and strawberries with the lemon zest and juice. Evenly spread the fruit over the almond paste.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until set. Check by inserting a toothpick in the center to see if it comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely before cutting into squares.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar.
- Try not to eat it all in one sitting – it’s that delicious.
- Keep any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container. (if you have any leftovers)
If you use a larger square pan you may have to double the recipe to ensure there is enough batter to fill the pan. If you don’t have coconut oil you can replace it with butter. I ran out of coconut oil so I used butter. Using monk sugar in this recipe will lower the carb count of the recipe. Monk sugar does not spike insulin and there are zero calories and carbs.
You can replace the fruit with whatever fruit you love. These would be great with raspberries and rhubarb. This recipe would make wonderful cherry bars and blueberry bars. The options are endless. Just pick whatever fruit you have access to or what is in season. You can also make these bars began by replacing the egg with a flaxseed egg.
YOU MIGHT ALSO ENJOY THESE RECIPES:
- Jamaican Jerk Chicken – pairs perfectly with this dessert
- Italian Tiramisu Recipe – this dessert will transport you to Italy
- How to Make Sourdough Starter – this is the sourdough starter I used to make this bread
- Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies (Gluten-Free) are easy to make and are great for people with nut allergies.
- Greek Orange Pie is so refreshing and takes me back to my time in Greece.
- Easy Low Carb Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free) are super easy to make and are low carb and delicious.
- Baked Gluten-Free Donuts are great when you are craving a donut without all the sugar and gluten.
- Gluten-Free Bread Recipes there are 31 gluten-free bread recipes to help you start baking
- No-Knead Sourdough Bread Recipe – the easiest bread recipe